Monday, April 20, 2015

Living Your Values




 I’ve read many definitions of integrity and I guess for me it comes down to making your behavioral choices align with your long-term values.


Before I came to my current environment I had idealistic (unrealistic?) thoughts about how people conducted their lives.  I believed in authenticity and I believed in living the values you espouse.
 

I still believe in those things.  I just don’t believe in people as much.  I now realize living an authentic life with integrity is much rarer.
 

I have been surprised at how many weddings certain people are not invited to because that person may be “blacklisted” by someone else. For some reason I truly thought that events like weddings, showers, and other celebrations were times when lines dissolved and the pureness of celebration, of joy, and of sharing triumphed.

 

I’ve learned I have been wrong….my perceptions are idealistic and one can be shunned for no valid reason other than because someone else on the guest list (with more power) doesn’t favor the person. 

I recall a specific incident when a very high profile wedding was occurring and one individual was not invited which surprised a lot of people.   The uninvited person had provided job opportunities and promotions to the person getting married but was not in favor by the leader. 

 

Fast forward a couple of years and the System forwhich we all work conducts and eight-week investigation and the power player is no longer working at the institution.  After about six months the environment has begun to neutralize.

 

I wonder does it bother the person that they took the “in” political route instead of holding to authentic values?

 

I wonder was it worth it?  Was it worth playing to the current political structure instead of integrity?

 

After working in higher education for 24 years, one thing I know for sure, power will shift.

 

Because power will shift, I find it is easier to sleep at night when you have demonstrated your own integrity.

Don’t sway to the passing political powers-stay true to your own values.  They will serve you in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment