Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ali Edwards and Qualtative Research

Ali Edwards over at http://aliedwards.typepad.com/ posted the below. I am intrigued with her "telling a story" perspective. Ali uses pictures, images, and words which focuses on everyday things in a brilliant, fresh, and captivating way. I think her work is worthy!


Three Things + 1 : Inspirations for storytelling

(The youtube image didn't transfer over)

(1) Jon Schmidt's Love Story (Taylor Swift) meets Viva La Vida (Coldplay) viaJana Beck (who does these very cool custom high-contrast paintings). I've started listening to more music again. I go through phases with what I listen to on iTunes/internet radio while I work. For a long time it has been all news all the time and I am finally starting to move back towards more music and less talk. I find that listening to music often connects me to stories and evokes a wide range of emotions from my past.

Dayswithmyfather(2) I can't remember if I have posted about this one before or not but it is so, so good it bears a second posting: Phillip Toledano's Days With My Father. This is words + photos. This is real life documentation & celebration. This inspires me to tell the stories of my family with more words and less stuff.

Fortunes

(3) Jen Lee's Fortunes : a little book of written pieces. Inspiring and filled with emotion, Jen weaves stories that are great examples of a different way to write our lives other than who, what, where, when, etc.

Img110(4) I got a second and third batch of family photos from my cousin. These ones were even older than the others. Found some serious gems in this bunch. This one is my Great-Grandfather John (also called "Mac"), Grandfather Neil (my Dad's Dad), and Great-Grandmother Martha. Even though I have no idea of the stories of most of these people's lives they inspire me in the not-knowing. I could look at them for hours just studying the faces, looking for family similarities, day-dreaming about what their lives were like in the early 1900's.

No comments:

Post a Comment